Column: CEO Learnings
For more than two decades, I’ve been a part of the career-transition ministry at St. Isidore Catholic Church in Danville, CA, helping more than 6,000 individuals, spanning different faiths and age groups, embark on their journey to the next phase of their lives since the Dot.com crash in 2002.
Our programs focused on helping participants navigate the six steps to transition to success. These included:
- Programs that help to recognize and deal with hopelessness and helplessness, anger and denial, and other negative emotions that interfere with our being able to move forward in life. A positive attitude with no emotional baggage is a key to success.
- Programs focused on self-assessment; figuring out our strengths, skills, experience, etc. – our gifts that we can use to create value in whatever we choose to do.
- Programs designed to develop the “marketing materials” needed to communicate our uniqueness: branding; the “marketing one pager”; the LinkedIn profile; resume writing; and the use of social media.
- Programs to improve and reinforce networking skills. Networking (80% of all jobs come from networking) is the biggest stumbling block for most participants.
- Programs to enhance Interviewing and negotiation skills; handling objections; dealing with age issues; dealing with “over experienced” issues; and negotiating a comp package.
- Job market information. – who is hiring, who are they hiring, and where are the hiring.
Fifteen (15) Important Books for a Successful Career Transition
In my role as a co-leader, I’ve gained profound insights into what makes a career transition truly successful. I am also an avid reader and have discovered many gems helpful to those in transition. Here are our ministry’s recommended “15 Important Books for a Successful Career Transition.”
1. “What Color Is Your Parachute” by Richard Bolles
- For over fifty years, this book has transformed job hunting, offering insights on networking, resume and cover letter writing, confident interviewing, and salary negotiation, all while aligning one’s livelihood with authentic living.
2. “What Matters Most“ by James Hollis
- This book helps navigate the “loss of identity” phase, promoting reflection and the re-establishment of one’s identity.
3. “The Power of Story” by Jim Loehr
- Discover what has controlled your life story thus far and define the story you truly want to live.
4. “Tell Me About Yourself: Story-telling to get jobs and propel your career” by Katherine Hansen
- A guide to effectively conveying your story during transitions.
5. “Get Your Shift Together” by Steve Rizzo
- Learn how framing life’s challenges determines your reactions and outcomes.
6. “MOJO: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It“ by Marshall Goldsmith
- This book offers practical exercises to help you be your authentic self.
7. “Disrupt Yourself” by Whitney Johnson
- A must-read for anyone, offering insights on choosing the right industry to reach your full potential.
8. “The High Potential Leader” by Ram Charan
9. “Encore Career Handbook” by Marci Alboher
- Tailored for those over 50, this book guides you through your next career phase.
10. “StrengthsFinder 2.0” by Tom Rath * Identify and articulate your five signature strengths to develop compelling marketing collateral.
11. “Tell to Win” by Peter Guber * Master the art of storytelling to highlight your unique gifts.
12. “A Curious Mind” by Brian Grazer * A top networking book that explores the power of curiosity.
13. “Never Eat Alone” by Keith Ferrazi * A networking classic that emphasizes the value of building meaningful connections.
14. “The Resiliency Advantage” by Al Siebert, PhD * Gain insights into building resilience during transitions.
15. “The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success” by Jeff Olson * Discover daily habits that lead to long-term success.
These 15 books, carefully selected based on their ability to inspire and guide individuals through transitions, will serve as invaluable companions on your journey to the next chapter in your career and life.
View Articles Thomas M. Loarie is a popular host of The Mentors Radio Show, the founder and CEO of BryoLogyx Inc. (BryoLogyx.com), and a seasoned corporate... MORE »