The much-awaited decision of the U.S. Supreme Court case of Thomas E. Dobbs, State Health Officer of Mississippi Department of Health, et al., Petitioners v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, et al. Respondents, herein Dobbs, is expected to be issued in June 2022.
There is much public furor by persons on both sides of the issue because of someone’s leaking the “draft opinion” written by Justice Samuel Alito. This “leak” is a breach of the confidentiality of the work of the U.S. Supreme Court and seldom, if ever, has happened in the history of SCOTUS. (never has it happened—ed.) Hopefully, the source of the leak can be determined, and the individual(s) properly sanctioned for this criminal act.
This leak and distribution of the draft was clearly to intimidate one of the five apparent “yes votes” to change his or her position so that the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey would continue to be the law in America.
Threatened violence to these Justices in the draft’s majority is not only wrong, but a disgrace demonstrated to the rest of the world.
I have read the draft and Justice Alito uses reason, science, and history to substantiate the conclusions he reaches. Only time is going to let us know if the other four justices finally vote as the draft indicates. A Justice can change his or her vote until the decision is released.
What would happen if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade?
If in fact Dobbs overturns Roe v. Wade, thereby overturning federally protected access to abortion in the U.S., it will not be the end of abortion in America, but the future decisions regarding the control and regulation of abortion will return to each of the states.
Thirteen states have already adopted “trigger laws” so that once Roe is overturned these statutes will go into effect and trigger restrictions on abortion in each of those 13 states.
The remaining 37 states would individually determine to keep the current Roe v. Wade restrictions on abortion or to make abortion even less or more restrictive than under Roe v. Wade.
Therefore, the need to help women to protect life in the states with fewer restrictions on abortion will be even greater than now. Even in those states with trigger laws, the need to compassionately help women will also be greater.
What Are Alternative to Abortion (A2A) Programs?
Some states, particularly Texas, have significant Alternative to Abortion (A2A) programs that will become even more important when Roe is overturned.
See an extremely useful article on Alternatives to Abortion at the Charlotte Lozier Institute website here.
What Is Being Done at the St. John Paul II Life Center?
As Co-Founder and Board President of the St. John Paul II Life Center in Austin, Texas, I can attest to the increase in utilization of the Center’s services since the passage of the Texas Heartbeat Act in 2022.
The Center has specific programs in place to educate and inform adolescent and older women and the public at large, and to provide Alternatives To Abortion.
The Vitae Clinic—with two full-time OB/GYN’s and one full-time Nurse Practitioner—is an integral part of the Center.
The major programs provided at the St. John Paul II Life Center are:
- “A Glimpse Inside” ™ is so important to help people, particularly children, understand that a sonogram shows a beating heart and a fully formed baby. A pregnant woman has a unique baby inside her with fingerprints that no other human possesses. The sonogram shows it is not just a clump of cells as children and adults have been misled to believe. You can learn more by going to jpiilifecenter.org/education. “A Glimpse Inside” ™ is presented in schools, churches, and other group settings.
- An educational program called “Blossom” for adolescent girls helps them learn the biology and functioning of their body and the power each possesses when they understand their cycle.
- An alternative course for medical residents seeking to understand Natural Procreative Technology (NaPro Technology) and other Natural Family Planning methods which empower women and assists in achieving or postponing pregnancy naturally, holistically, and successfully. https://vitaeaustin.com/naprotechnology
- Assisting abortion vulnerable women who choose life for their baby after viewing a sonogram of their child.
- Providing material assistance to clients including diapers, formula, new and gently used clothing, etc. for up to a total of three years.
Truth Expressed By Malta’s President says it all
Recalling one of the dinners I attended in Malta during a recent trip mentioned in my previous article (found here), the President of Malta, Dr. George Vella, who is a physician by profession, emphasized that preserving human life from conception is woven in the very fabric of basic natural law.
“I am telling you tonight,” said Dr. George Vella, president of Malta, “I am Pro-life not because I am Catholic, but because of the Natural Law and I know it to be the truth.”
Achieving the Proper Respect and Dignity for All Women!
What I have described above are existing programs that should be continued and expanded when Roe is overturned. If these and other similar programs are continued, it will create an atmosphere leading to a wonderful enhancement of the dignity of a woman and that of an unborn child.
Hopefully, all can come together to address at all appropriate locations —local, state and national levels—what must be done to recognize and elevate the dignity of each woman. This will improve women’s health and maybe, once and for all, create the proper recognition of women in today’s society.
Let us take away the emotion and stubbornness on both sides of the abortion issue and do something together that will make our families and our society stronger for years to come.
I think back to a recent Sunday sermon when our parish priest reminded us that it is God who gives us our strength.
Jesus gave his apostles a great commission “to go and make disciples of all nations.”
This is a challenge for each of us to be a faithful witness to the teachings of Jesus on faith, hope and love—and the greatest of these is love. If we do this, we can bring all people of good will to the table.
St. John Paul II anchors us in HOPE
Let us each reflect on two eloquent quotes from St. John Paul II.
“It is the duty of every man to uphold the dignity of every woman.”
“I plead with you, never, never give up on hope, never doubt, never tire, and never become discouraged. Be not afraid.”
Let us collectively find the best ways to provide the dignity and healthcare each woman deserves!
- Alternatives to Abortion Programs: Support for Mothers and Fathers — Charlotte Lozier Institute
- John Paul II Life Center
- Vitae Clinic
- How Knowing History Opens Our Eyes and Hearts — by Tim Von Dohlen, Catholic Business Journal
View Articles If you’ve met Tim, you know that his life was shaped by good values that were imparted to him by his parents and he... MORE »